Looking for how to use copyrighted music on Facebook legally? It is possible to use songs that are copyrighted on social media, but you have to follow the ground rules placed by the platform you are on. Let’s see how to go about this.
Can copyrighted music be used on Facebook?
Facebook users have encountered problems with having their videos brought down due to copyright claims on the song. To provide clarity on what types of content are permissible and what to avoid, Facebook has given out certain guidelines, which are:
- The use of music in stories or live musical performances has no limits.
- Videos with full-length recordings are more likely to be subject to limitations. This can result in the stream being interrupted, portions of the video being muted, or removed entirely.
- It is recommended to use shorter music clips to avoid potential copyright issues.
- Videos should always include a visual component, as the recorded audio should not be the primary focus.
These guidelines also apply to Instagram videos as Instagram is now part of Facebook.
How to avoid copyrighted music on Facebook
Whenever you are looking for a way how to use copyrighted music on Facebook legally, you have to follow certain guidelines. Like checking the Facebook music copyright checker page, other methods are:
Check the policy behind Facebook Reels Music Copyright.
It is important to familiarize yourself with Facebook’s copyright policies before using their service. If you violate these policies, Facebook may ban your account or remove your content without liability. For more information on Facebook’s copyright policies, you can visit their help center to gain clarity before uploading your content.
Don’t use the music without a license.
This is one of the ways to use how to use copyrighted music on Facebook Legally. It is important to refrain from sharing music if you do not have a license. This is important when doing covers of songs or live-streaming music. If you attempt to share such songs, Facebook will notify you so that you can remove them from your playlist and avoid any potential disruptions in future streams.
Always give credit
It is advisable to give credit to the original creators of the content by providing attribution. However, this does not guarantee protection against copyright problems. If the content owner does not approve of your use of their material, your attribution will not make a difference. It is always best to obtain proper permissions or licenses before using copyrighted material.
How to Use Copyrighted Music on Facebook Legally
You need a license or permission from the music’s owner or a licensing organization on how to use copyrighted music on Facebook legally. There are various ways to get this kind of permission:
- To use someone else’s music on Facebook, ask their permission by contacting the holder directly.
- Use music with a Creative Commons or other related license that permits non-commercial or restricted use with attribution.
- Use Facebook’s Sound Collection, which gives content creators access to free music and sound effects.
- Use a licensed music library to get access to a variety of songs that can be used lawfully in exchange for a price.
You can use music protected by a copyright on Facebook without breaking any laws if you have the right permissions or licenses. Always give accurate attribution, and abide by copyright owners’ usage instructions.
How to get permission to use a song on Facebook
When thinking about how to use copyrighted music on Facebook legally, it’s important to contact the legitimate owner or a licensing organization that represents the owner. Here are some steps to follow:
- Check the copyright information in the music or conduct an online search to find out who owns the song.
- Contact the owner or their representatives, such as a music publisher or record label, and ask permission to use the song on Facebook.
- Provide details about your Facebook content, such as the type of video, its length, and its intended audience, and explain how you plan to use the song.
- Negotiate the terms of the license, including its duration, the areas where it can be used, and the cost.
- Once you have obtained permission in writing from the owner or their agent, you can use the song on Facebook without violating copyright laws.
How to write a Facebook copyright disclaimer text
A copyright disclaimer is a statement to alert people you are not taking credit for another person’s property. It is important to know that when you are looking for how to use copyrighted music on Facebook legally, you must make sure you don’t take credit for the music or sound.
One of the disclaimer texts you can use is “Disclaimer: No copyright infringement was intended; I do not own the rights to this music copy and paste.” Though this doesn’t mean you are free from infringement, ensure you get the right to use the music even if you write a disclaimer.
Where to get and download legal music for your Facebook video
There are different places you can get music or sounds that can be used legally on Facebook without copyright infringement. This is because different sounds that can be used for commercial purposes have not been copyrighted. Asides from the Facebook music library, below is the list of places you can get copyright-free music that you can use for your Facebook video:
- Epidemic Sound
Using any of these provided resources gives you access to different Facebook music copyright free.
Other FAQs on Facebook
In this article, I have talked about How to use copyrighted music on Facebook legally and avoid being flagged for infringement. Also, I gave you some resources where you can get different music you can use for your Facebook videos or reels—following all these guidelines assured that you will always avoid copyright infringement of Facebook music.