Seeing how fast the 4G network is, in comparison to the 2G or the 3G network, it is not surprising that so many Nigerians want to upgrade their upgrade MTN sim to 4G at home.
The 4G which is the 4th generation of telecommunication technology is known to give the best signal when it comes to doing anything online. This is why we are here to guide you on how to upgrade MTN sim to 4G.
How to check for 4G enablement on your phone and sim.
Before we go into how to upgrade MTN sim to 4G, we want you to check if you are already enjoying this 4G speedy network to save your time. Imagine trying to upgrade an MTN sim to 4G when the sim is already in a 4G network. Or upgrading your sim to 4G when you cannot use it on your current phone. Follow these steps to check for the status of your sim card;
First of all, check to see if your phone is 4G enabled, if it is not 4G enabled, there is no way for you to enjoy a 4G mobile network with it. To find out if your phone can support the 4G network, do the following;
- Go to your phone settings
- Select/tap on the network tab/internet tab, you will see some options.
- From the options, select ‘mobile network’
- Click on the ‘preferred network type’
- Next, it will show you the list of all the network types supported by your phone. If your phone can support the 4G network, you will see 4G among the preferred network on your phone.
Secondly, check your sim to know if it is 4G enabled. To do this, follow these steps;
- Go to the messaging app on your phone
- SMS ‘4G’ to 312
- You will receive a message informing you that your sim card is ready to be upgraded to 4g or a message confirming that your sim card is 4G enabled.
If your sim is already a 4G sim, you can enjoy the speedy 4G by turning on your mobile data, this will show the 4G+ icon on your phone’s top bar. If you found out that your phone does not support a 4G network, then change it, to start enjoying the fast 4G network.
How to Upgrade MTN Sim to 4G
On the other hand, if you find out that your sim card is not 4G enabled, then you need to upgrade it by following these simple guidelines on how to upgrade MTN sim to 4G;
- Back up your contact list, as an upgrade may wipe all of your contacts
- Get your means of identification. This could be your national identity card or voter’s card, International passport, and the rest.
- Go to any MTN accredited center close to you.
- Give your MTN sim to the customer care representatives and tell them that you want an upgrade to 4G
- A form will be given to you, fill it out correctly. Ensure that the details match with the details you gave during your sim registration and also tallies with the ones on your ID card.
- Submit the form and wait for a maximum of 30 minutes for them to process your information.
- You will be given a new sim that is 4G enabled
- Insert it into your phone, reboot it, and start enjoying the speedy 4G network. Just ensure that you are within the coverage of an MTN 4G network.
What you Stand to Benefit From Upgrading to a 4G Network
When it comes to speed, the old 3G network is nowhere close to 4G as it is 10 times faster than the 3G. You can imagine streaming online without those annoying interruptions from a poor network. You can enjoy seamless streaming with the 4G network.
You also get to enjoy high download speed, to download those large files within the shortest time possible.
MTN Nigeria also encourages its users to upgrade to the 4G network, which is why it offers the following benefits to its users when they upgrade to the 4G network;
- Double data bonus when you purchase data up to #15,000 in the first 3 months after the upgrade.
- Free upgrade of sim card to 4GB
- Free 10GB, with 7 days validity
- A very fast internet connection
- Free 4GB data, with 7 days validity
- Endless video and music streaming
- 25% additional data bonus within the first 4 to 6 months after the sim upgrade.
- Existing users also get to enjoy a 25% bonus on all data and airtime
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I upgrade my MTN to 4G online?
No, there is no way for you to upgrade your MTN sim to 4G online. You have to visit MTN service centers physically to do that.
What is the code to upgrade MTN sim from 3G to 4G?
There is no code to upgrade your MTN sim card from 3G to 4G, just follow these simple steps that we have provided and you will start enjoying the speedy 4G network.
There are lots of benefits for you when you upgrade to the 4G network. To enjoy these benefits, follow the steps that we have provided on how to upgrade MTN sim to 4G. if MTN Nigeria releases a code on how to upgrade MTN sim to 4G from the comfort of your home, we will let you know immediately. Keep visiting us for more updates.